Re: [As-users] doing something for java applications ?

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:31:46 -0500

. wrote:
> On Friday 09 June 2006 00:41, . wrote:
>
>>It appears that we were handling Globaly Active input model as if it was
>>No Input model. Kinda dumb, but what would you expect from me :)
>>Please try CVS - it works fine for me now.
>>
>>Thank you all for your patience and reports.
>>Keep on bothering me :)
>>
>>Sasha
>

> OK, i installed the last afterstep-stable CVS, and checked it anew a few
> minutes ago. I uninstalled the debian package, and compiled the CVS, thanks
> to the straightforward instructions on the web site.
>
> Unfortunatly despite being under the new version, Prorealtime and my other
> applet still have the bad behaviour (stucked windows on the background).
>
> MusE wuch is QT based still shows as well the same problem than before.
>
> Then i wanted to try other window managers, as a short term alternative, and
> some of them have the same troubles than AS (sawfish).
>
> I think that KDE is more robust than any of the others and with few others
> more mature wm (XFCE4 ?) can handle the java applet correctly.
>
> May be they have some proactive measures to make any unfortunate X events
> still behave gracefully. At this point i don't know if the origine of the
> problem has to do with AS or with fancy coding style from the offending
> programs.
>
> Do you want that i help you to reproduce the symptoms with Proreatime ? (its
> a "free" program that you can use after registration). But so far no luck
> with the CVS version (at least from my attempt) :)

Some applications (most notably Open Office) tend to assign type Dialog
to some of its windows, but not the others. Since AS is an enlightened
window manager and knows how to treat window types properly - it puts
dialog windows to a higher layer, causing them top overlay other
windows. I suspect that sawfish does something similar.

As the result, for example in Open Office you get a dialog window with
its type set to Dialog that pops up at the top, then you get another
dialog window for confirmation message, which type is set strangely to
Normal. Obviously it gets put at the lower layer, and first dialog will
keep overlaying it no matter what you do, unless you bring it to a
higher layer using Window menu commend.

I've added two new Styles to the database that resolve this issue for
Open Office. I suspect that other apps you are having trouble with -
have same problem. Use Ident module to see what Layer they get put into,
and then use database to override it.

Just a side note: Adding

Style "*" Layer 0

to the beginning of the database will FORCE every window to be on the
same layer, after which you could selectively bring some windows up by
adding Styles after it.

Sasha