Re: [As-users] 2.2.2 Release Announcement!

Jeff Krebs (jkrebs@tconl.com)
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:24:13 -0500

You need to look at the --prefix configuration again...

Setting it to /usr/local/afterstep-2.2.2 is incorrect.  Open
the "configure" file in the AS tarball and do a search for
"--prefix".  Everything builds on this descriptor.

Example:

	DATADIR=PREFIX/share

with your PREFIX, AS is looking for data files in:

	/usr/local/afterstep-2.2.2/share/afterstep

rather than

	/usr/local/share/afterstep-2.2.2/

I see what you're tring to do, but you can't do it that way
with just PREFIX.  At a minimum, you need to change:

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data [PREFIX/share]
  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --infodir=DIR          info documentation [PREFIX/info]
  --mandir=DIR           man documentation [PREFIX/man]
_ACEOF

You're creating much headache.  I'd set PREFIX to /usr/local
and don't try and rename the AS dir.  I'd also verify your
MANDIR for your distro.  I had to set mine to:

	--mandir=/usr/share/man  for FC5

as the default would have been /usr/man, which FC5 doesn't use.

Jeff Krebs