Re: [As-users] 2.2.2 Release Announcement!

John Gruenenfelder (johng@as.arizona.edu)
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:24:14 -0700

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:24:13AM -0500, Jeff Krebs wrote:
>You need to look at the --prefix configuration again...
>
>Setting it to /usr/local/afterstep-2.2.2 is incorrect.  Open
>the "configure" file in the AS tarball and do a search for
>"--prefix".  Everything builds on this descriptor.

<snip>

>I see what you're tring to do, but you can't do it that way
>with just PREFIX.  At a minimum, you need to change:

<snip>

>Jeff Krebs

You sure about that?  I think he's doing it correctly.  This is how I test out
CVS copies of AfterStep.  I don't want to clobber or remove the Debian AS
packages, so I install my AS into its own little area, typically:

--prefix=$HOME/bin/asinstall

The AS config system is very nice in this regard.  The default configuration
files are adjusted when you build to use the path you specify.  When I want to
use my CVS AfterStep I only need to do three things:

1) Change my .xsession to load $HOME/bin/asinstall/usr/bin/afterstep instead
of just 'afterstep' which is the system default copy.
2) Change the ModulePath line in $HOME/.afterstep/base to point to the new
location.  I keep both lines in the file and then just comment out the one I
don't need.  The other lines in 'base' will still point to the system default
locations, but since those are for pixmaps and icons it really doesn't matter.
3) Add $HOME/bin/asinstall/usr/bin to the front of my PATH so it takes
precedence over the old copy.  Unless you need some of the other AS supplied
programs like ascommand, you can actually skip this step.  Setting ModulePath
is all you need for AS to be able to find the modules.

Now, this isn't as simply as just running afterstep-2.2.2, for example, but
it's still a very easy sequence of changes to make.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.