Re: [As-users] 2.2.2 Release Announcement!

Jeff Krebs (jkrebs@tconl.com)
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:25:14 -0500

You can install the AS files anywhere you want with PREFIX
and "make install" will put them where required. Or you can
install by hand, if you follow the configure. I agree that
the AS configure is nice, but it's rather absoulute when
creating paths in the config files.

The original post was about things not showing in the
menus.  To me that means "paths", and that means that
something was deviated from, probably after "make install".
Might have been renaming a directory, or perhaps inadvertently
copying a directory to the wrong location.

I got the impression that the user was trying to have something
along the lines of /usr/local/afterstep-2.2.2 with the AS files
and dirs in it (wharf, desktop/, applications/, etc.).  That
won't occur with the PREFIX set as it was.

I only run one version of AS at a time, system-wide.  If I were
to play with multiple versions, I'd probably do as you are
recommending.  For a one-at-a-time approach, my recommendation
would be a PREFIX of /usr or /usr/local and letting configure
and install take their course.  For folks running multiple
AS versions, this topic is probably un-needed.

I could be wrong.  It happened once before :). Might happen
again...

Jeff Krebs