Re: [As-users] doing something for java applications ?

Volker Ossenkopf (ossk@ph1.uni-koeln.de)
Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:21:21 +0200

Hi,

> The problem appears when you open a context dialog box, or when an alert or
> confirmation window pops up. Theses windows stay stuck in the background and
> follow you whatever desktop/screen you go.

I notice two kinds of problems (only with Java 1.5, Java 1.4 behaves
always well):

If a Java application shows an input window, the main window does not
get the focus back after the dialog window is closed, no way what I
do with the mouse, or which settings I use for feeling.

The "background windows". If an application shows a widget which can
be used with the mouse only, everything is fine for the first time.
If the application sets the widget invisible because everything is
entered and I reopen it later again (setting it visible) it does not
get a "window"  any more. No borders, no handles it stays on the root
window on every desktop/screen without a possibility to move or
activate it.

> I would like to know if there is workaround, specially for the java applet,
> that i am going to use in my day job. The applet appears as "java_vm" with
> the "ps" command, maybe i could set something in the AS database ?

As my main applications for work are written in Java 1.5 (not by me)
I have to run a separate window manager (fluxbox) in a xnest to get
my Java work done - no really acceptable work around.

Best wishes
		Volker