Re: [As-users] Where are master files?

Jeff Krebs (jkrebs@tconl.com)
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:09:17 -0500

Are you talking about the paths for the AS files, or the menu stuff?

Paths are in the file "base".

I don't know what you are trying to "look for". AS, through "base",
is fairly inclusive of all items needed to run AS; i.e., AS knows
where to look to find all of its own installed data.

This is provided you used configure correctly during build. Unless
you are seeing odd things, all is probably OK.

For my local ~/.afterstep, I have the following directories:

~/.afterstep
	backgrounds
	desktop          <- auto-created
		fonts    <- auto-created
		icons
		tiles    <- auto-created
	non-configurable <- auto-created

"autoexec", "base", "pager", "wharf", "database", "winlist" need
to go directly into ~/.afterstep.

If you are talking about the menus, some of the stuff is AS commands,
some is calling external programs.  You are looking in the right place,
and that is the ..../start/ directory. The .include isn't what you need
to follow; look at the files and dirs with numbers in front of them.
All menus are just text files and dirs, with the dirs indicating
sub-folders.  It's WYSIWYG.

You can move the .../start/ dir and its contents to ~/.afterstep/ .
Edit to you heart's content.

For applications that you use frequently, I'd recommend making a
button in Wharf... It's so much easier (one click rather than many).

Jeff Krebs