Re: [As-users] Where are master files?

Jeff Krebs (jkrebs@tconl.com)
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:35:40 -0500

OK.  I remember this... AS reads *.desktop files (on FC5,
they are located primarily in /usr/share/desktop-directories,
/usr/share/desktop-menu-patches, & /usr/share/applications).
Other systems might have /usr/local/share/... .
Do a search for files *.desktop to see all available.

AS reads the data from these files and adds the programs in
the menus.

If you have a certain program you desire to add, and it doesn't
show through .desktop entries, you can add it manually.

Look at the example that you provided (Applications/Network).
The menu files were numbered 1_* to 8_*. Look at the menu output
under AS.  The order should be the same, with *.desktop entries
on the bottom. Copy the file "4_mail" to "9_xchat".

Edit your new file to read:

	Exec "XChat (IRC)" exec xchat &

and save the file. Using the menu and selecting

	Desktop -> Update All

should show your new program.  Look at the other menu items for
examples, especially those launching in terminals.  You can add
subsequent programs like the example above: 10_*, 11_*, etc..

As I said earlier, I'd rather add a button under Wharf for
programs I use frequently; I rarely use the menus.

Jeff Krebs