Re: [As-users] Re: Xmms - afterstep problem

Justin Wainwright (jwain@umd.umich.edu)
Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:07:05 -0400

Actually, I've had this problem consistently since I started using
Afterstep in January '06 (using Debian packages).  I'm fine for roughly
the first hour using xmms, then when certain files come up on the
playlist, the CPU utilization problem happens while the file plays- if I
pause xmms, CPU utilization goes back down.  Do you notice the bitrates
changing during playback?  The problem files typically are shown having
a variable bitrate or low bitrates (< 100 kb/s).

It might also be worth mentioning that I'm using an integrated nForce4
audio chipset (under the intel8x0 driver).  I have a standalone
soundblaster card that I've been meaning to switch to for testing, but I
haven't done so yet.