Re: [As-users] aterm screen drawing problem

Bob McClure Jr (bob@bobcatos.com)
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:06:42 -0500

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 05:52:19PM -0400, Nathan 'Vaevictus' Mahon wrote:
> My boss forces it, So it's habit. I prefer in-posting.
>
> I thought TERM=rxvt /was/ default.
> perhaps it's a FC thing or a Way-you're-launching-it thing.
>
> I could be wrong.

It may well be, but according to README.configure:

--with-term=NAME
    change the environmental variable for the terminal to NAME
    (default "xterm")

I didn't check to see what the actual default was before I configured
--with-term=xterm and rebuilt it.

> n8
>
> Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> >[I dislike top posting, but Nate does it, so I'll follow his lead.]
> >
> >You may disregard my comment.  My problem was based on a
> >misunderstanding of what TERM should be used.  I was forcing "xterm"
> >in my .Xresources file because I didn't like the colors I got.  But
> >that causes aterm to fail to erase previous characters on the screen
> >if there is nothing to replace them.  This is most noticeable when
> >using mutt, my favorite mailer.
> >
> >I built the latest aterm (v1.0.1) with all the defaults and it still
> >behaved the same.  So I tried TERM=rxvt (on Fedora Core 5, stock
> >termcap/terminfo), and sonofagun, the display works properly.  I have
> >now commented out the offending .Xresources entry and rebuilt aterm to
> >default to TERM=rxvt.  Perhaps that should be made the default?
> >
> >In summary, nevermind. :-)  And thanks for a fine aterm.
> >
> >On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 10:52:23AM -0400, Nathan 'Vaevictus' Mahon wrote:
> >
> >>Could you get us a screenshot sometime?
> >>and, if possible, how to recreate it reliably, along with various
> >>versions of software involved.
> >>And, just curious, but what is your LANG env variable set to?
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>
> >>n8

> >Cheers,

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In
this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the
world."  John 16:33 (NIV)