Re: [As-users] aterm screen drawing problem

Bob McClure Jr (bob@bobcatos.com)
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:09:24 -0500

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 05:06:42PM -0500, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 05:52:19PM -0400, Nathan 'Vaevictus' Mahon wrote:
> > My boss forces it, So it's habit. I prefer in-posting.
> >
> > I thought TERM=rxvt /was/ default.
> > perhaps it's a FC thing or a Way-you're-launching-it thing.
> >
> > I could be wrong.
>
> It may well be, but according to README.configure:
>
> --with-term=NAME
>     change the environmental variable for the terminal to NAME
>     (default "xterm")
>
> I didn't check to see what the actual default was before I configured
> --with-term=xterm and rebuilt it.

Whoops.  I meant --with-term=rxvt.

> > n8
> >
> > Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> > >[I dislike top posting, but Nate does it, so I'll follow his lead.]
> > >
> > >You may disregard my comment.  My problem was based on a
> > >misunderstanding of what TERM should be used.  I was forcing "xterm"
> > >in my .Xresources file because I didn't like the colors I got.  But
> > >that causes aterm to fail to erase previous characters on the screen
> > >if there is nothing to replace them.  This is most noticeable when
> > >using mutt, my favorite mailer.
> > >
> > >I built the latest aterm (v1.0.1) with all the defaults and it still
> > >behaved the same.  So I tried TERM=rxvt (on Fedora Core 5, stock
> > >termcap/terminfo), and sonofagun, the display works properly.  I have
> > >now commented out the offending .Xresources entry and rebuilt aterm to
> > >default to TERM=rxvt.  Perhaps that should be made the default?

> > >Cheers,
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In
this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the
world."  John 16:33 (NIV)