Re: [As-users] AfterStep using 100% CPU when playing music

Nathan 'Vaevictus' Mahon (as_ml@vaevictus.net)
Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:51:46 -0400


I'd like to download that, yes. If you need a webserver to upload it to, 
let me know.

n8

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On my main machine i have a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 1 GB RAM. The virtual 
> machine that also shows the problem is a Pentium 4 with 256 MB RAM. Of 
> course it is quite easy to tweak the RAM on the virtual machine; i 
> could try it with, say, 64 MB and see what happens if that would be a 
> useful test.
>
> I'm not sure yet what information in them is actually useful, but i have 
> over 100 MB of logs gathered in the virtual machine while running xmms 
> for long enough that AS was completely dead (within the VM i had to 
> force quit X Windows). The logs compress down to around 6 1/5 MB, small 
> enough that if someone else wants a look at them i'd be happy to e-mail 
> the compressed file. I've also done some testing with the VM i made. I 
> removed most of the unnecessary packages that were installed in it, and 
> now it compresses down to 1/2 GB. So if a developer wants to look at it 
> and has access to VMWare (or the free VMWare Player), i could put it up 
> on a web server or burn it to CD-R and mail it.
>
> On Wednesday 01 August 2007 12:10, Nathan 'Vaevictus' Mahon wrote:
>   
>> Hey Volker:
>> How much CPU/RAM do you have?
>>
>> I'm wondering if this isn't a swapping issue, or a critical backlog
>> issue.
>>
>> or something along those lines.
>>
>> n8
>>
>> Volker Ossenkopf wrote:
>>     
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>>       
>>>> The bulk of my played music is MP3 or WAV.  Is there a particular
>>>> format that seems to be affected more than others?  Does this
>>>> happen with AfterStep and no other applications open?  Is this
>>>> playing from a list? Or are you loading the tunes one at a time?
>>>>         
>>> I didn't do any debugging, but I noticed that the problem was the
>>> same or even worse on my system (Debian etch with afterstep 2.2.6)
>>> while opening a particular website that updated the window title
>>> every second.
>>>
>>> This gives an easy way of testing the problem completely independent
>>> from xmms:
>>> I ran xterm and within the xterm-bash the loop:
>>> ossk@hevelius: while (true); do echo -n "^[]0;`date`^G"; sleep 1;
>>> done (^[ is the character for escape and ^G the character for bell)
>>> This updates the xterm window every second. In this way one can
>>> easily time the problem:
>>> After about 8 minutes I notice the first increase in the afterstep
>>> load (6%), after 16 minutes, I am at about 20%, after 24 minutes
>>> I am at 30%, after 32 minutes 45%.
>>> The load drops immediately to zero when I stop the loop in the
>>> xterm, so that the title is no longer updated.
>>>
>>> The delayed behaviour seems to indicate a memory management problem
>>> for the structure containing the window titles. This might explain,
>>> why the problem does not seem to occur on all systems using
>>> afterstep, but may depend on an underlying library.
>>>
>>> I don't want to make further guessing about the cause here, but hope
>>> that this gives at least some additional information.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> 	Volker
>>>       
>> _______________________________________________
>> As-users mailing list
>> As-users@afterstep.org
>> http://mail.afterstep.org/mailman/listinfo/as-users
>>     
>
>   

_______________________________________________
As-users mailing list
As-users@afterstep.org
http://mail.afterstep.org/mailman/listinfo/as-users