Re: [As-users] aterm screen drawing problem

Bob McClure Jr (bob@bobcatos.com)
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:35:36 -0500

[I dislike top posting, but Nate does it, so I'll follow his lead.]

You may disregard my comment.  My problem was based on a
misunderstanding of what TERM should be used.  I was forcing "xterm"
in my .Xresources file because I didn't like the colors I got.  But
that causes aterm to fail to erase previous characters on the screen
if there is nothing to replace them.  This is most noticeable when
using mutt, my favorite mailer.

I built the latest aterm (v1.0.1) with all the defaults and it still
behaved the same.  So I tried TERM=rxvt (on Fedora Core 5, stock
termcap/terminfo), and sonofagun, the display works properly.  I have
now commented out the offending .Xresources entry and rebuilt aterm to
default to TERM=rxvt.  Perhaps that should be made the default?

In summary, nevermind. :-)  And thanks for a fine aterm.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 10:52:23AM -0400, Nathan 'Vaevictus' Mahon wrote:
> Could you get us a screenshot sometime?
> and, if possible, how to recreate it reliably, along with various
> versions of software involved.
> And, just curious, but what is your LANG env variable set to?
>
> Thanks.
>
> n8
>
> Bob McClure Jr wrote:

> >>Root background is not set properly, I'd suggest throwing windowmaker
> >>away and using AfterStep.
> >>
> >>Sasha Vasko
> >>

> >I'm using AfterStep 2.2.6 and get the same problem with aterm
> >(v1.0.0).  Not having time to troubleshoot it, I use xterm.
> >
> >Cheers,

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus
Christ.  1 Corinthians 15:57 (NIV)