Re: [As-users] 2.2.8 Pager & WinList issues

Jeff Krebs (jkrebs@tconl.com)
Mon, 26 May 2008 14:37:25 -0500

* Jim Turner (turnerjw784@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Greetings fellow AS users,
>
> Hi.  I just installed AS 2.2.8 on a new Linux
> installation (I still use
> 2.2.2 on my production box).  Anyway, 2 issues:
>
> 1)  Pager - I have Wharf "SwallowModule" a pager.  In
> 2.2.2, it creates a nice
> square pager with 4 equal-sized square "tiles"
> representing 4 screens.
> Anyway, in 2.2.8, the left 2 "tiles" are rectangle
> (aspect same as screen),
> and take up most of the icon, leaving only a sliver
> for the right 2 screens,
> something like:
>
> ---------                ---------
> |     | |                |   |   |
> +-----+-+     I want:    +---+---+
> |     | |                |   |   |
> ---------                ---------
>
> How can I specify 4 equally-sized "tiles"?  I'm using
> in pager config:
>
> *PagerGeometry       60x60
> *PagerIconGeometry	+0-0
> *PagerStartIconic
>
> 2)  WinList - I have WinList show only icons with
> balloons, no text (I want
> it that way).  Pbm is I want each icon to be
> transparent, but square and
> scaled to 48x48.  The pager has 1 row and starts on
> lower left of screen,
> filling out from left to right as desired.  The icons
> are 48 pix high, but
> are varying in width only taking up as much horizontal
> space as necessary
> (usually < 48).  I'm using:
>
> *WinListShowIcon 1
> *WinListIconLocation 0
> *WinListIconSize   48x48
> *!
> *WinListScaleIconToTextHeight 0
> *WinListIconAlign  center
> *WinListAlign  center
> *WinListGeometry        +0-0
> *WinListMaxRows         1
> *WinListFillRowsFirst
> *WinListUseSkipList
> *WinListOrientation across
> *WinListNoAnchor
> *WinListSpacing	 1
> *WinListBevel           Right,Bottom
> *WinListUseName 5
> UnfocusedStyle "winlist_transparent_icon_style"
>
> And in LOOK file:
>
> MyStyle "winlist_transparent_icon_style"
>   Inherit	helv12_bold_text
>   BackPixmap	126
> /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/empty.xpm
>   Alignment Center
> ~MyStyle
>
> I have read the documentation, but haven't found
> anything related to these
> issues.  I thought that WinListIconSize and
> WinListMinColWidth 48 would
> do it, but they don't seem to.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jim

I'll try and help with the first.

A patch is in cvs for this.  The diff for this patch can be found here:

http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/appletrpms/afterapps-specs/SOURCES/AfterStep-2.2.8-Pager.c.patch?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Squares are nice, but why not keep the aspect correct?  For example:

4:3   -> 64 * 3 / 4   = 48, or  64x48
16:9  -> 64 * 9 / 16  = 36, or  64x36
16:10 -> 64 * 10 / 16 = 40, or  64x40

I have experienced this, without the patch.  With the patch,
Wharf sometimes is a little narrower than it's supposed to be. Stopping
and re-starting Wharf (MonitorWharf) usually fixes it; things align correctly
after the restart.

I have been using DeskTopScale to size Pager in Wharf, rather than
PagerGeometry.  I'll play around with the latter and see if that makes a
difference.

On to the second... no clue :)

WinList is next on the documentation cleanup.  There's very little
currently, although we should have something for next release.  Did you
try WinListMinSize and WinList MaxSize?

I think what you are doing sounds neat.  Maybe there's a need for fixing
the WinList "pane" sizes.

Jeff Krebs