Re: [As-users] =((((

Bob McClure Jr (bob@bobcatos.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:12:28 -0500

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:55:21PM +0100, Albert Dorofeev wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:59:03AM -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
> > In attempting to use afterstep I've had some of the most frustrating
> > experiences I've ever had attempting to use a GUI, it's almost half as
> > awful as vi which is the benchmark as the world's least usable program.
>
> You are exactly right. AfterStep is the vi of window managers.
> We all here like vi

Umm, not quite.

> and we like AfterStep. If you do not like
> vi, chances are you will never learn to use AfterStep either.

I disagree.  vi makes me want to beat the monitor with the keyboard.
I use and love Emacs.  But you'll have to pry AfterStep from my cold,
dead fingers unless it abandons virtual desktops.  Seems only AS and
FVWM provide that functionality, AFAIK.

That said, I run IceWM on my antique laptop, a Pentium/MMX 233 (yeah,
with the F00F bug), because I need something that loads and runs as
fast as possible.  There, I can stand to live without the virtual
desktop.

> It is simply a matter of preferences. You know, in Belgium we
> say that if you do not like beer, it means you did not try
> enough of it. I think you should try more window managers,
> they are all different, you are likely to find one that suits
> you well.

Amen.

> Good luck!
> Albert
>
> --
> GPG fingerprint = EDF4 CEA9 4CBF 0FAF 02B3  5839 B871 C957 3953 115F
> An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world.
>                                  A pessimist fears that this is true.

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good
fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick
figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good
things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings
evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the
overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."  Luke 6:43-45 (NIV)