Re: [As-users] One application with multiple windows on multiple

Daniel A. Ramaley (daniel.ramaley@drake.edu)
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:29:39 -0500

On 2009-04-14 at 17:12:37, you wrote:
>Pete Houston wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 01:07:32PM -0500, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>>> In the past i could have multiple windows from one application on
>>> different desktops. Awhile ago Firefox stopped allowing that; if i
>>> try to move a window to another desktop, *all* Firefox windows move
>>> to the new desktop. Today for the first time my terminal
>>> application started exhibiting the same behavior.
>>>
>>> I'm running AfterStep 2.2.8 on Debian Testing. Is this an AfterStep
>>> setting, or something at the application level?
>>
>> Hello Dan,
>>
>> I had the same issue with Firefox, but setting "NoGroupHints" in the
>> afterstep "database" file has fixed it for me.
>
>Correct. This is being governed by the Group hint being set by the
>application. Apparently whatever terminal emulator started doing that
>for you - changed its behavior.
>
>Fortunately AS gives you total control over stuff like that. Just add
>NoGroupHint style for the offender into database.

Thanks for the tips.

I added ", NoGroupHints" to the Firefox line in database:
Style   "Firefox-bin"           Icon logos/Firefox, IgnoreConfig, NoGroupHints

That, unfortunately, had no effect. At the top of the file there appears
to be a catch-all line, so i added NoGroupHints to that:
Style   "*"             Icon interface.xpm, NoGroupHints

Now Firefox works as i expect it to; i can place windows on different
desktops without difficulty. The "terminal application" i use is
gnome-terminal. It doesn't have its own line in the AfterStep database,
but even adding NoGroupHints to the "*" line, the terminal still insists
on having all windows on 1 desktop. Is there something else i can try?