Re: [As-users] Issues with aterm with screen or old/different unix

Nathan 'Vaevictus' Mahon (as_ml@vaevictus.net)
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:53:32 -0400

First, I should preface this with aterm is deprecated in favor of urxvt,
aka. rxvt-unicode.

Second, we go to the second problem.  If your OS's don't have a termcap
for either rxvt or aterm, you need to get one installed.  It may be a
problem on some OS's ... and may be a big problem on others.  using the
wrong term settings will cause some of your issues in problem #1.
Lastly, you need to a.) have termcap settings for rxvt, xterm will work
somewhat, but you'll see special character issues.  b.) unicode will
never work properly under aterm. c.) in addition to the TERM settings,
you need proper locale, lang, and font settings, *and* you need each
layer of your terminal to be speaking the same thing.  aterm connected
to screen connected to mutt is 3 layers.

This is becoming more and more of a problem as OS's continue to make
unicode the default.  Your discrepancy between fedora and gentoo may be
that fedora is defaulting a setting differently than gentoo is.  xterm
supports unicode, so I'd imagine that you're running into some unicode,
if "everything works fine" with it. :)

what's your LANG set to in your shells?

n8