[As-users] Re: Developer positions

Sasha Vasko (sasha@aftercode.net)
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:05:31 -0600

> Self motivation is not a problem. Although, a list of issues needing
> attention would be nice. I will poke around the code and see what I
> would like to mess with.

1. One thing that I think is more pressing then others is support for
Gnome session manager. I started implementing it but never went past the
first registration message. As Afterstep has its own session management
functionality through autoexec - this needs to be made standard
compliant. I haven't had much time to develop the idea though. Relevant
code is in src/afterstep/dbus.c and afterstep.c (main()).

2. Another pressing thing is system tray support - there is apparently a
standard protocol for that.

3. Also something should be done about better integration with the
system menus of Gnome/KDE. We do load all the desktop categories and
entries available on the system and allow user to use them in AS menu.
Perhaps a n utility that would synchronize AS menu with Gnome/KDE menus
would be nice.

4. GUI config tool has always been a hot item. I don't see how that
could be done given the complexity of AS configuration. There are some
unfinished refactorings in libAfterConf - basically all the modules
should have its config implemented the way WinList has it (using ASCF_
macros).

Let me know what you think.

Sasha Vasko