RE: [As-users] Re: Developer positions

Jeremy (sg@hacksess.com)
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:04:45 -0500

>From what I've seen, at just some glances, theres a few "Standards" for
system tray. X11 (I think), KDE, and Gnome. They all have their own set of
"hints", etc. so not sure if its just subsets of a greater standard, or each
a separate reinvention.

-----Original Message-----
From: as-users-bounces@afterstep.org [mailto:as-users-bounces@afterstep.org]
On Behalf Of Sasha Vasko
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:06 PM
To: DOS Admin; AfterStep users
Subject: [As-users] Re: Developer positions

> Self motivation is not a problem. Although, a list of issues needing
> attention would be nice. I will poke around the code and see what I
> would like to mess with.

1. One thing that I think is more pressing then others is support for Gnome
session manager. I started implementing it but never went past the first
registration message. As Afterstep has its own session management
functionality through autoexec - this needs to be made standard compliant. I
haven't had much time to develop the idea though. Relevant code is in
src/afterstep/dbus.c and afterstep.c (main()).

2. Another pressing thing is system tray support - there is apparently a
standard protocol for that.

3. Also something should be done about better integration with the system
menus of Gnome/KDE. We do load all the desktop categories and entries
available on the system and allow user to use them in AS menu.
Perhaps a n utility that would synchronize AS menu with Gnome/KDE menus
would be nice.

4. GUI config tool has always been a hot item. I don't see how that could be
done given the complexity of AS configuration. There are some unfinished
refactorings in libAfterConf - basically all the modules should have its
config implemented the way WinList has it (using ASCF_ macros).

Let me know what you think.

Sasha Vasko